Saturday, 5 March 2011

Homeschool Mothers Jurnal


In my life this week...
My chickens have started laying again - it makes me so happy to see my 2 little eggs each day.

In our homeschool this week...
We've been having a desperate race to finish our human body unit - there were to many additional activities they wanted to do. By far the worst was when DD8 decided she wanted to see a real kidney and cut it up (my cousin is a nurse and was telling the girls about various dissections she had done in her training - suppose I should be glad they decided against the heart)

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
Next week we are off to the Roman museums to finish our history unit - can't wait to walk on the Roman wall in Chester :)
My favorite thing this week was...
DH volunteered to do school on Fri giving me a much needed day off (admittedly I did use it to catch up on work and planning - seems I've forgotten how to relax)
What's working/not working for us...
Just bought the 'more Greek and Latin roots' book and can't wait to try it.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
Do you have any taboo topics in home school?
DD8 was reading a history book and wanted to know what 'Holocaust' meant, I really didn't want to share that with her until she was older. I have given her Anne Franks diary and told her to read that while I take time to think of a way to break it all gently to her.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
This week I have had to keep reminding myself of a quote from Maria Montessori
'Never help a child with a task at which she feels she can succeed'
Especially hard when you know you can get their shoes and coats on faster than they can !

3 comments:

The Adventurer said...

Holocaust is a big one. I gave my daughter the Anne Frank book also then we visited her house in Amsterdam and went to an exhibit. We also talked about Winston Churchill and Theodore Roosevelt and a little of Hitler. I try to answer the questions honestly but gave no more information than the question warranted as I think it is a tough subject at age 8. My daughter asked it at that age too.

Brenna said...

Just wanted to say that I'm happy your hens are laying! Yay!

Holly said...

Interesting post! I didn't use Anne Frank's Diary with my kids till they were older, but we did listen to the Story of Corrie Ten Boom-that was incredible. Corrie's grandfather had so many wise things to say during their trials that my children learned from & still draw from when they are experiencing their own personal trials.
There are no taboo subjects for us, but if I don't feel they're ready for full content, I'll give them a little info & see if they still keep asking questions. If they do, I give them a little more info & see again.
Your children are beautiful! Our hens are laying again, too...but some of them are not. We're ordering more chicks soon. Holly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...