Saturday 5 March 2011

Homeschool Mothers Jurnal


In my life this week...
My chickens have started laying again - it makes me so happy to see my 2 little eggs each day.

In our homeschool this week...
We've been having a desperate race to finish our human body unit - there were to many additional activities they wanted to do. By far the worst was when DD8 decided she wanted to see a real kidney and cut it up (my cousin is a nurse and was telling the girls about various dissections she had done in her training - suppose I should be glad they decided against the heart)

Places we're going and people we're seeing...
Next week we are off to the Roman museums to finish our history unit - can't wait to walk on the Roman wall in Chester :)
My favorite thing this week was...
DH volunteered to do school on Fri giving me a much needed day off (admittedly I did use it to catch up on work and planning - seems I've forgotten how to relax)
What's working/not working for us...
Just bought the 'more Greek and Latin roots' book and can't wait to try it.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...
Do you have any taboo topics in home school?
DD8 was reading a history book and wanted to know what 'Holocaust' meant, I really didn't want to share that with her until she was older. I have given her Anne Franks diary and told her to read that while I take time to think of a way to break it all gently to her.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...
This week I have had to keep reminding myself of a quote from Maria Montessori
'Never help a child with a task at which she feels she can succeed'
Especially hard when you know you can get their shoes and coats on faster than they can !

2 comments:

Brenna said...

Just wanted to say that I'm happy your hens are laying! Yay!

Holly said...

Interesting post! I didn't use Anne Frank's Diary with my kids till they were older, but we did listen to the Story of Corrie Ten Boom-that was incredible. Corrie's grandfather had so many wise things to say during their trials that my children learned from & still draw from when they are experiencing their own personal trials.
There are no taboo subjects for us, but if I don't feel they're ready for full content, I'll give them a little info & see if they still keep asking questions. If they do, I give them a little more info & see again.
Your children are beautiful! Our hens are laying again, too...but some of them are not. We're ordering more chicks soon. Holly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...