Wednesday 10 December 2014

Holiday Homeschool - Roman Numbers Game

I created a hands-on math game for the girls this week.

I took three pennies (I), a five pence piece (V), three ten pence pieces (X), one fifty pence (L) and three pound coins (C) and stuck a sticker on each with the corresponding Roman numeral (you only need one five pence and one fifty pence because you never have more than one V or L consecutively.
You have three of the others as you don't need more than three consecutive I's, X's or C's when writing Roman numbers)


After a quick recap of the rules.

  1. C can only be subtracted from D or M
  2. Only I, X, C and M can be subtracted - V, L and D cannot
  3. I can only be subtracted from V or X
  4. X can only be subtracted from L or C

I called out various numbers for the girls to 'create' - here Lilly is creating 37.


They finished by writing up the rules, drawing around the coins and making posters. All except for Rose who decided to stick the actual coins down.


cheat sheet 
1=I
2=II
3=III
4=IV
5=V
6=VI
7=VII
8=VIII
9=IX
10=X
20=XX
30=XXX
40=XL
50=L
60=LX
70=LXX
80=LXXX
90=XC
100=C
500=D
1000=M



6 comments:

Susana Galli said...

You are in the UK, right? Before I came to this post I read somewhere "Home ed" instead of homeschool and thought so. Then I came to the home page and seen the money and got my answer. It's great to see a website of so many activities from the UK!

Angela Coghill said...

Reading this made me feel very grateful. It was very helpful and very informative and I learned a lot from it. Visit my Automatic clicking blog and download the Auto Mouse Clicker Software Utility to create a mouse clicker script.

Sample Assignment said...

Say no to low scores by utilising the greatest cheap assignment help has to offer. If you're unsure about the topic and don't know how to write an excellent paper, don't hesitate to contact Sample Assignment. Our team of professionals is available 24/7 to assist you in improving your grades.

Bruce said...

Thank you for providing this informative content. Your search for specific content to help you learn faster and more effectively ends with this blog. Patterns, expressions, everything is exactly what I was looking for. As an academic professional, I was often asked to hire someone to help me with my Marketing Assignment Help. Ultimately, I created a blog for quality reasons, and this blog immediately captivated me. Exceeded my expectations for quality testing.

certified public accountant course said...

If you're looking to pursue a career in management accounting, finding the right CMA classes in Pune is crucial. Pune, known for its educational institutions and thriving business environment, offers a range of options for aspiring CMAs.

Blogs said...

The insights shared in this blog are truly enlightening. It's evident that a lot of effort has gone into crafting this informative piece. For further assistance, consider checking out Assignment Help Australia from Do My Assignment.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...