In answer to a query the girls had, we spent some time exploring bones.
After doing our research we decided to make our own bone to test its strength.
We took a piece of paper and stuck drinking straws on it (the paper is the periosteum and the straws represent the compact bone/Haversian canals)
once we rolled it up we stuffed it with cotton wool (for the spongy bone) wrapped around a string (marrow).
They matched the labels to the bone model
then wrote up their notebook pages.
The favourite part of the activity had to be testing the strength of the 'bone' - it held 2 large hardback dictionaries :)