Every day, just before we are supposed to start lessons, one of the girls has come up with a question that sparks the imagination of the others and we get side tracked searching for the answers. It's a good job I'm happy being in a child led environment (otherwise I may feel some pain that all my planning has gone to waste and we are falling behind - or from another viewpoint I don't have to do any planning this weekend)
Some of my favourite questions this week have been:
- Is there a scientific name for animal fur? we discovered thee types of fur (guard hairs, tactile hairs and insulating hairs) but not a specific name for all fur.
- Which continent gets the new year first? apparently its the Australian continent.
- Why is the sunset red? if you have ever done the 'sky is blue' experiment with milk and a torch you get a wonderful answer to this.
- Why are nocturnal animals nocturnal? there were loads of answers to this including due to heat, hunting other nocturnal animals and safety from day time predators.
- Why don't trees move? they soon realised (thanks to 'Life of Plants') that trees do move just not like we do.
Much as I welcome these questions I do hope they take a back seat next week and we get more done.
What have been your favourite questions?